Poison resistance is considered one of the most essential intrinsics in the game. This resistance protects against the harmful effects of poison, including instadeath. For example, a dart trap might shoot out a deadly poisoned dart.
Many corpses that offer poison resistance are themselves poisonous (a notable exception is the corpses of shriekers, which can usually be found early). There are, however, many safe ways of acquiring poison resistance. For example, rings and amulets both include one that protects you against poison. Green dragon scale mail also protects against poison.
Barbarians, healers, and orcs have a natural poison resistance. Monks get a natural poison resistance when they reach experience level 3 and tourists at level 20. Poison resistance is also granted when you are crowned.
You can safely obtain poison resistance from a corpse in one of the following ways:
- Eat a non-poisonous corpse that grants the intrinsic.
- Use a tinning kit to make a poisonous corpse safe. (Bear in mind that not all poisonous monsters grant poison resistance.)
- Wear an item that grants poison resistance. This could be a ring of poison resistance, an amulet versus poison, an alchemy smock, or green dragon scale mail or scales.
- Use a unicorn horn to negate the strength drain caused by eating a poisoned corpse. (This works because unlike poisoned attacks, corpse poison cannot cause instadeath, although it causes some HP loss.)
- Wear a ring of sustain ability to avoid the strength drain from eating a poisonous corpse.
- If you know you can pray, get drained 4 strength, pick up junk to be overtaxed, and pray.
The following corpses provide a chance (given) of gaining poison resistance, and are not dangerous to eat:
|golden naga hatchling||20%|
|guardian naga hatchling||20%|
|red naga hatchling||10%|
The following corpses are among those that provide poison resistance, but are mildly dangerous:
|black naga hatchling||Acid||20%|
|Wizard of Yendor||Cannibalism||50%|
|yellow mold||Poison + Hallucination||6%|
Very unsafe corpsesEdit
Unless you are polymorphed into a stoning-resistant form, eating any of these corpses will instantly result in YASD. If, however, you are in a stoning-resistant form before getting poison resistance, these corpses can provide it permanently. Note that tinning them does not make them safe to eat.
|chickatrice||Stoning when touched or eaten||27%|
|cockatrice||Stoning when touched or eaten||33%|
|Medusa||Stoning when eaten, cannibalism||100%|
- "You feel healthy"
- Upon receiving poison resistance
- "You feel especially healthy"
- Upon receiving poison resistance while having extrinsic poison resistance (such as a ring or amulet)