Flying is an intrinsic property. The effects of flying are:
- You can pass over pits, holes, trap doors, squeaky boards, bear traps, water or lava safely. (Pits and holes in Sokoban will still trap you.)
- Land mines have a chance of not being triggered, and will not wound your legs.
- Improved chances of avoiding death by drawbridge.
- You can move freely over ice or on the Plane of Air.
- Wounded legs do not reduce your carrying capacity.
- No ill effects from descending stairs when encumbered, fumbling or punished.
- You are out of reach of xans' attacks.
- You escape the dungeon rather than dying by level teleporting to levels between -9 and -1.
- You can dip objects into water, unlike with levitation.
- You cannot pick up items trapped in a pit.
- You cannot snag underwater items with a bullwhip - put on a levitation item if needed.
You can acquire this property by polymorphing into a flying monster:
- killer bee
- queen bee
- winged gargoyle
- mind flayer
- master mind flayer
- lurker above
- any monster represented by v, y, B, D, E, or V.
You can also fly by riding a flying monster:
There are some flying monsters which you cannot polymorph into:
- Vlad the Impaler
- Wizard of Yendor
- The Riders
- Mail daemon
- Minion of Huhetotl
You can sometimes displace flying monsters by kicking them. If the "foo swoops, nimbly evading your kick" than it is moved to a random vacant square adjacent to you.
In the source code, a monster is defined as flying if it has the M1_FLY flag. Note that flying is different from levitation, and monsters represented by an e levitate rather than fly, even though they possess the M1_FLY flag.
Source code references
|This page is based on a spoiler by Dylan O'Donnell. The original license is:
Redistribution, copying, and editing of these spoilers, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: